YOUTH MENTOR INFORMATION
Want to become a Mentor for Youth Jobs Indy 2017?
Listed below are all of the requirements and expectations for a Mentor.
Please keep in mind before applying, you must have patience and a heart for our youth.
PLEASE COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENT
AND EMAIL OR FAX TO:
or fax to 317-899-2333
Registration for Mentors will begin April 21, 2017
Mentor Meetings and Training dates:
Fervent Prayer Church
10512 E. 38th Street
Indianapolis IN 46235
- Mentors are required to be at least the age of 21.
- All applicants must have background check.
- All applicants must attend all meetings and training sessions.
- Personal Cell Phones-Mentors are asked not be on their personal cellphones during the program hours except when communicating with other mentors regarding the program. Please model the same excellence you expect from the youth.
- Instill confidence in the youth to help them overcome self-doubt.
- Explain the value of employment and work ethic.
- Seek opportunities to encourage good performance, offer support and praise.
- Give direct and explicit instruction on the roles and functions required for working.
- Help youth to understand and respect the organization’s goals and requirements.
- Quickly address undesirable behavior respectfully.
- Respect each youth, as a person not a child .
Supplies for Worksite (Provided by program)
Mentors should arrive at 7:15 to gather supplies to prepare for worksite.
Mentors are to make sure all supplies are ready and available to go to work site.
Mentors are also responsible for making sure that all supplies are returned to church.
- Pickup sticks
- Ensure every youth has either a safety t-shirt or **safety vest
- Pick up Sticks
- Trash Bags
- Safety flags -will be placed on roadside in traffic situations
- Water-Ensure that youth stay hydrated
- Gloves-Are to be distributed and returned to church.
- Follow all instructions:
- Monitor the youth to make sure that every youth is working. Any youth not actively working and participating in the program where repetitive correction is given maybe removed from the program (terminated from their job).
- Monitor supplies.
- Keep a count of the youth. Make sure all youth are safe and accounted for.
- Be aware of location of First aid kits on bus, and emergency assistance.
- No one will pick up any hazardous items: glass, needles, condoms etc. Mentors are to monitor the safety of the youth at all times.
- Mentors will not carry weapons of any sort on their person or in their vehicles.
- Mentors will not engage in any physical altercation with youth. Seek out law enforcement.